Getting characters right

 Usually, when I'm on Spotify, I search for good playlists but usually ignoring "Character Playlists". The thing is that I always feel like those playlists are totally inaccurate to the character's personality! It's always Mother Mother and Mitski isn't it? I don't think all characters have the exact same taste in music. 

Understanding a character is very important for me, after all, I write fanfiction, what's the point if the character isn't even similar to their canon counterpart? 

Of course, writing fanfiction is all about having fun, but sometimes when you are reading one of them, don't you feel that there is something wrong...? Well, at least I do, that's why I try to give it the best of me when writing it. 

So, one day, I was trying to analyze one of the characters I'm using for my fanfic, only to realize I know nothing about him! It was hard since I consider myself one of his biggest fans and I meant it. Maybe that's why it was so hard in the first place. When I thought I got what I wanted, I realized how far away it actually was from my original intention... it's so frustrating. 

That's where the character playlists come in, is it really that hard to not use the same 5 TikTok song for a character? Unfortunately, yes. I tried making one all by myself and let me tell you it was an absolute hell. 

To be honest, not using Hayloft was definitely hard, the same went with My Ordinary Life, but at the same time, it felt kind of good when I used those songs no one knows about, like Anti Ordinary! Absolute banger. But at the same time, using songs from common bands like Green Day or Panic! At The Disco, was amazing, they fit and also add to the vibe, what would I do without you ¿Viva La Gloria? 

Anyway, I learned that making a playlist with your own taste in music for a character is actually fun! But listening to music you don't know is also pretty fun! I definitely want to try it out sometime, spotalike and those websites that give you a random song depending on a genre are so useful for times like these. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Umineko 1